Logo Katsura Japanese Restaurant

900 York Mills Road, Toronto ON M3B 3H2 at the Westin Prince Hotel
Reservations Tel: 416-444-2511 or 647-259-3230

Katsura Sake Selection

home | teppanyaki | sushi bar | main dining | reservations | online reservations
download dinner menu | download teppanyaki menu
sake | location | group functions | 日本語

Enjoy some of the finest sake available in Toronto. Katsura's sake selection is second to none and our selection is constantly changing so you're sure to find a sake that pairs perfectly with your meal.

You can enjoy sake warm or cold - however the best sakes are often enjoyed cold so the flavour, like good wine, can be savoured.

Some Information About Sake to Help You Make Your Selection

Not all sake is equal! But all sake is made from rice and pure water.

Regional differences in water e.g. dissolved minerals, water hardness etc. and the type of rice used in the brewing give sake unique flavours and qualities specific to regions and brewers.

The degree to which the rice is polished and other factors related to fermentation will also give sake made by the same brewer different qualities.

Unlike wine, sake does not keep for a long time and is best enjoyed the year after it was made.

The price of sake is influenced by several factors. The degree of rice polishing - the more polished the rice the more expensive the sake. The brewer - like wineries some are more well know and famous than others. The annual rice crop in Japan - the weather and other climatic factors will also affect the price of the raw ingredients. The best Japanese sake is never made with rice imported from outside Japan.

Some sake purists prefer Junmai sake where no distilled alcohol has been added. All sake, except Genshu Sake, has an alcohol percentage of between 14 and 16 percent.

Junmai: is sake made with rice that has been polished at least 30% - leaving 70% of the inner grain to be used to make sake. No distilled alcohol has been added to this sake.

Junmai ginjo: is sake made with rice that has been polished at least 40% - leaving 60% of the inner grain to be used to make sake. No distilled alcohol has been added to this sake.

Junmai dai Ginjo: a purists sake, is sake made with rice that has been polished at least 50% - leaving 50% or less of the inner grain for making sake. No distilled alcohol has been added to this sake.

Honjozo: is fortified sake made with rice that has been polished at least 30% - leaving 70% of the inner grain to be used to make sake. A small amount of distilled alcohol has been added to this sake.

Ginjo: is sake made with rice that has been polished at least 40% - leaving 60% of the inner grain to be used to make sake. A small amount of distilled alcohol has been added to this sake.

Dai Ginjo: is sake made with rice that has been polished at least 50% - leaving 50% or less of the inner grain for making sake. A small amount of distilled alcohol has been added to this sake.

Nigori: is purposely unfiltered sake and is consequently slightly cloudy.

Nama: is purposely unpasteurized sake - sake is usually pasteurized twice.

Genshu: is sake that has not been diluted with water to decrease the alcohol level from 18% to approximately 15%.

For a truly authentic Japanese experience enjoy a bottle of our specially imported Japanese sake or choose a sake pairing to go with your meal.

 

Katsura Nigiri Sushi


 

© 2016 Katsura Japanese Restaurant